Farhad Nargol-O'Neill, Visual Artist
"The practice and growth of my Art has been informed by many and varied influences, not only by the visual but also by the unseen, the interior, the inexpressible, and the musical. I include my Catholic spirituality, mnemonics, a mixed Irish/Zoroastrian parentage, knowledge of justice and community, music, and observations regarding the relationship between object and place. I believe that all of these things find their truest representation, in a sort of reverse Platonic fashion, in the physicality of created Art. Art, therefore, is for myself the means by which all those things that exist in human nature and the natural world find their truest expression. I am of half Irish - half Parsee (Indian Zoroastrian) parentage. Originally from Unionville, Ontario, I have traveled extensively for more than two and a half decades iin furtherance of my visual art career. I have lived and worked in many countries and am familiar with many different cultures. My multi-cultural heritage and ability to empathize and communicate with many cultures has always been a great advantage with regards to my ability to work and relate with the widest range of people".
- Stage play: "Portis Proserpina"
- Series of (12) bas reliefs based upon on medieval themes and my reflections upon elements of natural philosophy linked to narratives
- New works in bas-relief on religious (Catholic) themes
- New series of (12) bas reliefs based on Irish mythology
- Illuminated manuscript on lambskin of my own artist statement dealing with iconography and natural philosophy
- Architectural drawings on lambskin for the design of a neo classical building - a collegium for ecclesiastical arts and rhetoric
- Solo exhibition in 2019 of paintings based upon reflections on natural philosophy and medieval themes.
- Solo exhibition in September of 2019 of my musically inspired automatic writing at the Electric Perfume Gallery in Toronto.
- Solo exhibition of all of my bas reliefs in August 2020 at the Gerard Dillon Gallery in An Culturlann, Belfast, Ireland
- Solo and/or group exhibition the DaDa Gallery, Tunis, Tunisia.
- Solo/group exhibition (sculptural/installation) in Nicosia, Cyprus.
1995 - 2018
2014 - 2018/19
Marian Doors Commission for St. Michaels Cathedral Basilica. Commissioned by the Archdiocese of Toronto to create two bronze gilded double doors for the north and south transept of the renovated Cathedral to show the entirety of the Rosary in sculptural bas-relief. See Concrete Pictures of the beginning of the commission on Vimeo.
Feminine Character of the Unconscious. Private stone sculpture commission. Toronto, Canada. See Feminine Character under Sculptures.
Drawing commission of automatic writing on lambskin/illuminated manuscript to "Suite for Piano" by Canadian composer/pianist William Westcott. Private commission. See commission under Drawings.
O'Keefe/H Manuscript. Automatic writing on lambskin/illuminated manuscript commission. Private commission. Toronto, Canada. See O'Keefe - Heyden Manuscript under Drawings.
Automatic writing to T. Monk. Private drawing commission of automatic writing on lambskin. Toronto, Canada. See Automatic Writing to T. Monk 2012 under Drawings.
Corpus et Spiritus. Major sculpture commission for the Catholic Education Centre (YCDSB). Patron: Metrus Inc. Aurora, Ontario. Canada. See Corpus et Spiritus under Public Works.
The Life of St. Elizabeth. Bas-relief sculpture created in conjunction with the students of and for St. Elizabeth Catholic Academy for the Arts. Vaughan, Ontario. Canada.
Stations of the Cross (Divine Love). Bas-relief sculpture created in conjunction with the students off and for Holy Cross Catholic Academy. Woodbridge, Ontario. Canada. See Divine Love under Bas-reliefs.
Expulsion from the Garden (Environmental Installation). Installation created alongside other installations (which I managed) created by top art students from Unionville High School for the Artist. Commissioned by the Township of Markham, Ontario. Canada, for the Markham Blooms Community Festival. See Enviro Installation under Public Works.
Biographical Construction. Two-piece stone (permanent) and hanging polystyrene (temporary) installation commissioned by the Township of Markham, Ontario. Canada for the Markham Community in Bloom Festival. See Biographical Construction under Public Works.
Balancing on Three Points. Mural commission: British Council, BG Tunisia. British Council Office, Tunisia. See Balancing on Three Points under Public Works and radio interview under Press and Performance.
Ode to Aphrodite and Hala Sultan. Mural commission: British Council (Cyprus), the BHC (Cyprus). Cyprus. See Ode to Aphrodite and Hala Sultan under Public Works and press and video footage under Press and Performance.
Constructing the Past. Mural commission: British Council (Belfast and Cyprus), and ETEK. Nicosia, Cyprus. See Constructing the Past under Public Works and press and video documentation under Press and Performance.
Carriage na Gailge. Stone sculpture commission sponsored by the USDT and the Turf Lodge Residents Association. Completed and installed by since removed. Pity, it would make a lovely mass rock. See Carriage na Gailge under Public Works.
Carriage Failte. Sculpture commission: Groundwork N.I., Turf Lodge Residents Association, and the USDT. See Carriage Failte under Public Works.
Carriage Mairead. Sculpture commission: Groundwork N.I., Ait na Mona Residents Association. Ireland. See Carriage Mairghead under Public Works.
Freedom Restrained? Commissioned for the Falls Women's Centre. West Belfast, Ireland. Supported by the New Works program by the ACNI. See Freedom Restrained under Public Works.
The Birth of Kells. Sculpture donated to An Culturlann Irish Language Cultural Centre. Belfast, Ireland. See Birth of Kells under Public Works.
The Herald of Jericho. Public sculpture commission: Upper Springfield Development Trust. USDT building. Ireland. See Angel of Jericho under Public Works.
An Duanaire, Poems of the Dispossessed. The Blackbird and the Bell. Private commission by Eamonn O'Faigain. See An Duanaire, Poems of the Dispossessed under Paintings.
Bedu Bride I, II, Flying Carpet. Sculpture commission: Government of Jordan, EXPO 2000. Hanover, Germany. My work on this commission was recognized by HRH Queen Rani al Abullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. See Expo 2000 under Public Works.
Basian Garden. Screen sculpture commission. Stately residence. Collaboration with designer Bruce Munro. Barbados. See Basian Garden under Decorative Sculptures and videos of my making screen sculptures in the Conway Mill studio under Press and Performance.
Basian Sky Garden. Stately residence. Collaboration with designer Bruce Munro. Barbados. See Basian Sky under Decorative Sculptures and videos of my making screen sculptures in the Conway Mill studio under Press and Performance.
Screen sculpture commission for the Belfast Indian Cultural Centre, Crumlin Road.
Standing Guard. Public sculpture commission: Groundwork N.I. for Ballymena Borough Council. Ballymena, Ireland. See Standing Guard under Public Works.
Screen sculptures for the Song of America Cruise Liner. See Song of American Sculptures under Public Works.
- 2005-16 Group exhibitions at the Arts & Letters Club of Toronto. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2006-18 Numerous studio shows in Richmondhill, and Toronto.
- 2012 "SIXIS". Group exhibition at the Papermill Art Gallery, Todmorden Mills, Toronto, Canada. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2011 Performance of automatic writing projections with Redxdown. Arts & Letters Club. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/Drawings/multi-dance.html
- 2011 Performance with the Canadian Electronic Ensemble. Arts and Letters Club. Link: https://soundcloud.com/cdnelecens/sets/july-29th-at-the-arts-letters
- 2010 Group exhibition "Fully Present" at Gallery U111. Curator and artist. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2010 Solo exhibition "Animas Res - Soul Objects" at the Eleanor Winters Art Gallery, York University. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/ReliefWorks/Stations.html and press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2010 Solo exhibition "Devotion Moderna" at Regis College, U of T. Link:http://www.farhadsculpture.com/ReliefWorks/Stations.html
- 2009 Solo exhibition at the Newman Centre, U of T. Link to many of the included works: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/sculptures/default.htm
- 2008 Solo exhibition at the Arts and Letters Club of Toronto. Link to many of the included works:
- 2008 Group Exhibition. Centenary Exhibition of members of the Arts & Letters Club of Toronto. Varley Gallery, Unionville. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2005-07 Numerous group exhibitions at the Canadian Sculpture Centre (SSC) such as New Members show, East/West, Sculpture Mix IX, Thought Mass, Joy!, Eye Candy, and the Arts and Letters Club of Toronto. Canada. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2007 "Prodigal Son". Solo exhibition of paintings at the Eleanor Winters Gallery, York University, Toronto. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2006 Group exhibition between members of the Rochester Art Club and the Arts & Letters Club of Toronto "First International Exhibition" at The Arts and Cultural Gallery of Greater Rochester Gallery. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2005 Solo exhibition. Opposites Attract. Sponsored by the British Council (Cyprus), and the BHC (Cyprus). Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/paintings/impressions.htm
- 2004 Solo exhibition. Impressions of a City. Space Gallery, Conway Mill, West Belfast, Ireland. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/paintings/impressions.htm
- 2004 Book Launch. Launch of an illustrated version of the Inferno (Dante Alighieri). Linenhall Library, Belfast, Ireland. Supported by the Upper Springfield Development Trust and Eilis Creen and Deirdre Mackel and the Linenhall Library. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/paintings/dante.htm
- 2003 Solo exhibition. Construction/Deconstruction of Religious Imagery in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Culturlann, upper room Gallery, Belfast. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/Drawings/kerala.htm
- 2002 Solo exhibition. A Tale of Three Houses. Belfast Waterfront Hall, Belfast, Ireland. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/DecorativeSculpture/oriental_tree.htm
- 2001 Solo exhibition. Art on the Scrap Heap. Group exhibition. Space Gallery, West Belfast, Ireland. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/DecorativeSculpture/oriental_tree.htm
- 2001 Solo Exhibition of painting and drawings. LEDU office, Belfast.
- 2001 Group exhibition. Conway Artists Collective. Space Gallery, Belfast. Ireland. Press link:http://www.farhadsculpture.com/DecorativeSculpture/oriental_tree.htm
- 2000 Solo exhibition. Impressions of the Inferno. Also on exhibit "Memory Palace" bas-relief series. Upper Room Gallery, An Culturlann, West Belfast, Ireland. Supported by Eilis Creen and Deirdre Mackel of the USDT. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/paintings/dante.htm
- 1999 Conway Artists Collective. Group exhibition. Space Gallery, Belfast, Ireland. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 1996 Solo exhibition of screen sculptures. Peacock Gallery, Craigavon, Ireland.
- 1996 Solo exhibition of screen sculptures and decorative lighting pieces. Gallery Restaurant, Europa Hotel, Belfast. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 1996–2005 Numerous group and solo exhibitions in the Space Gallery. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 1995 Belfast Young Contemporaries. One Oxford Street Gallery. Press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 1995-98 Extensive metal craftwork - making metal objects d'art, candelabras, furniture, and other craft items for sale in craft shops and at craft fairs in Ireland.
- 1994 First Solo exhibition. Sculpture. McKay House Gallery, Main Street Unionville. Canada. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/DecorativeSculpture/oriental_tree.htm
- 1988-9 IDA Gallery, Fine Arts Building, York University. Group exhibition. Visual arts class group show.
Awards, Grants, and Collections
- 2014 The bas-relief "Hao-Title Image". Arts & Letters Club of Toronto Permanent Collection. Toronto, Canada.
- 2011 R.A.V.E. award for public art from the City of Vaughan. Also see press link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/press/
- 2007 Major sculpture commission to create the Corpus et Spiritus sculpture for the Catholic Education Centre. Aurora, Ontario. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Corpus_Spiritus.htm
- 2005 British Council full sponsorship(Tunisia) and British Gas (Tunisia) to complete a mural. Commissioned by British Council, British High Commission, Municipality of Nicosia, and Turkcell. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Three_Points.htm
- Community Artist, representing Markham Communities in Bloom Festival. Markham, Canada. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Enviro.htm
- British Council and the British High Commission (Cyprus) full sponsorship to exhibit with English artist Jane Walker. Cyprus. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/paintings/impressions.htm
- British Council and British High Commission (Cyprus) full sponsorship for a mural commission in Turkish occupied quarter of Nicosia. Cyprus. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Aprodite.htm
- 2003 Winner of the 2003 British Council (Belfast) Mural Competition to create a public mural in Nicosia, Cyprus. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Construction_Past.htm
- 2003 Winner of the Individual Arts Award from the Arts Council of N. Ireland, for a solo exhibition in Belfast in 2004. Belfast, Ireland. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/paintings/impressions.htm
- 2002 Winner of the New Works funding from the Arts Council for the North of Ireland for sculpture entitled Freedom Restrained? for the Falls Women's Centre. West Belfast, Ireland. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Freedom.htm
- 2001 Arts Council of the North of Ireland travel grant award for sculpture residency at the Chitraniketan Art Residency. Kovolam, Kerala, India. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/Drawings/kerala.htm
- 2001 Donation. The Birth of Kells screen sculpture. An Culturlann. Permanent Collection.
- 2000 Awarded personal commendation for sculpture work by HRH Queen Rania al Abdullah, Royal Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan for sculptures created for the EXPO 2000 Jordan Pavilion. Hanover, Germany. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Expo2000.htm
- 2011 Original carving of Corpus et Spiritus taken by the York Catholic Board of Education under director Susan LaRosa. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Corpus_Spiritus.htm
- 2011 Station of the Cross. Station XII purchased by St. Patrick’s Church, McCaul Street. Toronto. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/ReliefWorks/Stations.html
- 2001 The Grianan of Aileach. Sculpture on permanent loan to Derry City Council. Millennium Forum, Derry City, Ireland. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Grianan.html
- 1999 Cuchuallain and the Morrigan. Sculpture for Conway Mill Permanent Collection. Belfast, Ireland. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Cuchullain.htm
- 1998 The Battle of Benburb. O'Neill Cultural Centre. Benburg. Donation.
- 1998 Red Hugh the Fianna. Screen Sculpture. (Ulster Television) Permanent Collection. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/PublicWorks/Hugh.htm
- 1997 The Meeting of Red Hugh and Zarathustra. Screen Sculpture. Hastings Group Collection. Europa Hotel. Belfast, Ireland. Link: http://www.farhadsculpture.com/DecorativeSculpture/Europa.htm